Wednesday, February 6, 2013

"Facebook In a Crowd" (Blog #6)

Facebook In a Crowd by Hal Niedzviecki, was a very interesting way to truthfully put modern day society. Hal talks about his Facebook and how many friends he has and how many are acquaintances and how many people he actually knows that he had "accepted" as a friend. He then tries a little experiment to see who really hides behind the computer and who knows how to still be social face to face. He attempts to use the "create an event" page on Facebook to see how many people would actually show up and get together with him at a bar for a little social event. Out off all the maybes and yes responses he got on Facebook... only one showed up.


This article makes me realize how a lot of people these days do not really want to meet up and hangout. Most people use sites like Facebook and their cell phones to text and "catch up" with people. To me it is actually pathetic and sad how poorly people make excuses to not make plans to hangout. How we communicate now days is done through technology devices. Sure, do not get me wrong for some still know how to handle their technology and smart phones and know how to be social in the real world (like me) but some people just need to learn or RE-learn how to navigate both.

I feel like some people hide behind Facebook and are totally not who they come across to be. Just this past few months every time I find the time to catch up with family and close friends I go in and delete people I could really not give a rats ass about and start to "delete the duds" as I like to call it! I really just use Facebook to keep up to date and talk to my close friends who live in different states and family who live all over the world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment