Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Staying Close (Blog #7)

I chose to read "Staying Close" by Ginny Taylor, because I was drawn to the title in what I thought would be about sticking close to someone In listening to this article it was really about true love. These past few months I have really thought about what love truly means to me. Just recently my best friend got engaged and I have been doing some deep thinking to myself. What do the vows "I, (Bride/Groom), take you (Groom/Bride), to be my (wife/husband), to have and to hold from this day forward, for better or for worse, for richer, for poorer, in sickness and in health, to love and to cherish; from this day forward until death do us part."

Taylor has a strong faith that during the toughest times in her life that love has the chance to grow deeper and stronger in a marriage. Being married to her husband Scott for 22 years, Taylor becomes very ill with Stevens Johnson syndrome. Being an independent women she quickly discovers how hopeless she felt after becoming very ill.  Stepping up to the plate Scott played the role of "mommy" and took his kids to and from school got groceries and became his wife's caregiver. Felling negative with her conditions she felt like she had hit "rock bottom." Scott was their to pull her along and tell her to keep pushing through each day. With Ginny having her husband their to help her she felt so consumed in love and never looked back.

This I believe article made me realize how love is not some word you throw around. On your wedding day you say the words "for better or for worse." Before you say the words I love you and before you tie the knot with a significant other... think about the vows and commitment you make to one another. After your wedding day life is not "pretty" every day. You have bills to pay, expenses to pay for, each other to care for when one is sick. Real life is not a step ford wife cooking and cleaning all day and the husband all masculine with a big job title. And I feel sorry for those who even think or live that way. Your not truly living in love and a true marriage until you go through the "tough" together. There is so much to the meaning of the four letter word "LOVE," so think about what it means to you before you decide to say it to your significant other(s). 


1 comment: