Tuesday, January 29, 2013

iPod World, or What Have I Been Missing? (Blog #5)


I just finished up reading "iPod World: The End of Society?" by Andrew Sullivan. As I finish collecting my thoughts on this article I am thinking to myself how much society has changed with technology in the past decade. Sullivan sums up what he thinks about this "iPod world" we live in today. He talks about how iPods have made society tune out the world and how people forget to stop and remember the beauty around them. Sullivan calls people who own iPods "little white box worshipers." He is so right with the points he makes. What has society really come to with new inventions? Are things like iPods hurting us?  Or are they helpful to some people? 


Today we are constantly surrounded by technology and new innovations to improve and enhance every day life. Things like iPods, iPhones, iHomes, MacBook’s, 3D T.V'S and iPads. The list goes on and will continue to grow forever. As I look at this list I own five out of the six things. I own them because I use them for work and school and on a daily basis, but do I "really" need them? No, but I have them because I worked hard to buy them as a necessity. I feel like some people own them because it is the "in" thing to own. For some like to have their own "peaceful" time so they use their iPod to tune out the world. But for others like me I enjoy owning them, because I can balance enjoying and stopping to smell the roses every once in a while. I think that these items have made American's tune out the world. Most people do not see much beauty in the scenery around them, because they have so many distractions in front of them now days. I think this article can go both ways in his arguments depending if you are an avid iPod user or if you just do not really care for them at all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment