Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Malcolm X (Blog #4)

Between the two readings I read I choose to blog and write about Malcolm X. Malcom X tells the story of what his life was like behind bars in federal prison. His education really started in Charlestown Prison where X became envious of a man by the name of Bimbi. Bimbi was full of knowledge and took head of all the conversation's they ever had. X was basically fascinated with this man and so this is when he began to take charge of his education and help better himself. While behind bars X got a hold of a dictionary where he began page by page coping everything that was in it. He soon had a whole tablet filled with words from the dictionary. He became his own teacher and became consumed with learning about the words he was writing down. X says at the end of his article, "In fact, prison enabled me to study far more intensively than I would have if my life had gone differently and I had attended some college." He took a negative situation and turned his life around while he was in prison.

This article made think about all the times I had been influenced by a teacher or student to take action in my education. I do not like to admit it but I had always disliked school up until college. Today I now tell myself "You have to prepare your education today so you will have a future." Being in college now makes me appreciate every aspect of learning. I take my work more seriously and try to obtain as much as I can everyday. Knowledge is a powerful tool and everyone in the world should get the opportunity to education. Learning is so important and I think a lot of people take it for granite and do not realize how lucky they they are to get to learn and have the privilege to go to school. I loved this article from Malcolm X and I really enjoyed learning about his journey through self taught education.


No comments:

Post a Comment